Monday, May 26, 2008

A Poem for Don Quixote



"Therefore, straiten Rozinante's girth, recommend thyself to God, and wait for me in this place, three days at farthest, within which time, if I come not back, thou may'st return to our village, and, as the last favour and service done to me, go from thence to Toboso, and inform my incomparable mistress, Dulcinea, that her captive knight died in attempting things that might render him worthy to be called her lover."

From Don Quixote - Volume I, Book III chapter VI - paragraph 2

Our good hero is speaking succinctly to his squire Sancho to prepare him for his next adventure. The knight-errant is marked strongly by his disregard for self and the total throwing of his will and heart into the adventure at hand. All of these are to recommend his love to Dulcinea of Toboso. Who like most of the fair sex abhorred only the one who loved her most, our hero, and loved almost exclusively those which abhorred her, as Don Quixote points out later in the chapter.


A Poem for Don Quixote

Fix the saddle and girth of my stallion,
call upon your Maker in heaven,
steel your heart to wait for me here
three days at length I should require,

And if return I not in three,
then crossed over to reward I must be
Go as a final favor to this errant knight
to that Dulcinea of Toboso most fair delight

relay to her the knight most errant died
in great attempts to win her loving pride
his thoughts only to become noble in her sight
and win the prize, her hand in love his plight

------------------------------------

Somebody's me
(open in a new window)


2 comments:

Shadow said...

that is one book i still want to read too....

Anamcara said...

You will be told that YOU are forever enough. They know the prison house of the little self. They know you hold the key to liberation. Only they might tell you that the door is always open. It was and never will be shut to you. They have trust that “all is well and all manner of things shall be well.”
They know you are always held in the hand of the Beloved. They are not here to do anything for or to you. They are only there to facilitate your discovery that you are always enough.
Ultimately they take you to love of soul.
So this is how I would answer my Anam Cara soul.
Would he be satisfied? I am not sure. I compensate by tenderly gathering him up in my arms. I stroke his handsome head and I tell him, “I love you.” I tell him, “You are a forever enough.